Computer Recycling

Computer Recycling is Lucrative

 

Computer Recycling is important for our environment and can be lucrative for your company or non-profit organization. We have IT Asset Disposition and Remarketing services for companies, where we will often pay you for old and obsolete equipment, offsetting the purchase of new equipment while protecting the environment. Pickup for obsolete equipment is free for local companies and government. Residential customers can bring old computers to our drop off locations or one of our public collection events. We also help non-profits and charities organize cell phone and computer recycling fundraisers, which have proven to be very effective. The computers can often be refurbished and resold here in the US or in other countries. It’s energy efficient to rebuild old computers, but only about 2% of PCs ever find their way to a second user. Even when they are beyond resale, we can strip them down for parts and components, as well as raw materials. When we resell the computer, we are always careful to wipe the hard drive to protect the previous owner.

 

 

Computer Recycling and Our Environment

 

Computer Recycling is ResponsibleThe nation now dumps between 300 million and 400 million electronic items per year, and less than 20% of that electronic waste is recycled. Because computer processing power doubles nearly every 2 years, old computers are being replaced with new ones at an alarming rate. According to the EPA, only 15% of these computers have been recycled – the other 85% end up in landfills leaking lead, mercury, arsenic, cadmium, beryllium, and other toxins into the ground. Flat panel computer monitors and notebooks often contain small amounts of mercury in the bulbs used to light them. Cathode ray tubes in older TVs and computers typically contain between 4 and 7 lbs of lead. Electronic products are made from valuable resources and materials, including metals, plastics, and glass, all of which require energy to mine and manufacture. Computer recycling helps conserve our natural resources and avoids air and water pollution, as well as greenhouse gas emissions that are caused by manufacturing virgin materials. Even when these items have been sent to “electronic recyclers”, large amounts of e-waste are sent to countries such as China, India and Kenya, where lower environmental standards and working conditions make processing electronic waste more profitable. Around 80 % of the e-waste in the U.S. is exported to Asia. This is not the case with Mean Green E-Cyclers. Computer recycling at MGE involves no landfills, no exports of e-waste, no child labor and no incinerators – guaranteed. You can be sure that you really are helping to protect the environment when you recycle with MGE.